Wednesday, December 10, 2008

First Impressions

So, after running around the Malden school library thinking they had the book, Woman Warrior, and finally after two days finding out that the book which was "in" was actually lost, I eventually got the book at the Malden Public Library.

My first impressions? The book looked old, I started to feel the connection to it fade. At first, I chose Maxine Hong Kingston as my research author mainly because I felt that I would be able to connect to much of the events and feelings in the book, being like her, the first generation of Asian American in my family. I expected much more than just another story about a Chinese girl, I have read too much about that. But also, while doing a pre research on the author, I have read great reviews on how amazing this book is.

That impression changed when I began to read. Although it is interesting already, (having only read about 20 pages) it is a slow read. It took me almost an hour and a half just to finish fifteen pages. But I do notice the similarities in her family and mine already. My expectations of the book did not fall any lower and as of now, I don't like it. My only fear now is the idea of taking such a long time to read so little pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment