Monday, January 19, 2009

Finally decided

I went to the Malden Library in search of my next book after Woman Warrior. I was sad to find that most of the readings I wanted were not there, meaning I had to order them from another library or purchase them. Seeing that I needed to start reading right away since any book from my choice is about three hundred pages, I just decided to take what was there. So I ended up with Trip Master Monkey: His Fake Book. I started right away. The beginning was slow, though the plot seemed promising. This is after all a fiction book. Though I really hated that Kingston decides to put points in it from Woman Warrior, and makes it completely the opposite as to what she wrote before. For example, in the first book, she would write about being Chnese and some things that just happen in the family, things that I understood because my parents do them as well. In this book though, not only does Kingston insaults and mocks them, she falls into stereotyping Asian Americans. The worst part is that the main character is Asian American and fits the stereotypical description. THat was a major let down. After that point, the book continued downhill. I hated that Kingston is so unformal in this book. Swears are littered everywhere and once again, Asian words written in english doesnt make sense, unless I try to figure it out, which is sad because those who don't speak Chinese will never get it because there is not English translation for it. As of now, I can honestly say I hate the book and I would not have continued to read if I didn't have to read for the assignment, or better yet because it is too late now for me to start over in a three hundred somthing pages book that is to be finished reading in less than a week along with my regular studies. Oh well.

This book is so confusing. Maybe because the main character is a poet and many things seem to confuse me about poetry. Though I am surprised to find many quotes from other books that I have read. So far, there are defenetly not as many notes that I took for this book compared to the last. It is just not as interesting. Besides that, I hate that Kingston creates a story inside a story which confuses the heck out of me. Either she doesn't explain well, or I just don't get any clues what so ever. I am largely disappointed on this book.

But there is still hope. It is the monday before the research is due, which is Friday, and I am a little over half finished. This seems to be where the interesting part just starts. Hopefully it will get better, but either way, just because it took so long before I actually got interested in it, I would still say that this book is a disappointment. Another sad part about this is that so far, I have not found anything that can connect to the other book besides Chinese culture. I cannot find the "deeper meaning" or the "true character" of anything. It does not speak to me, it does not seem to mean anything, just somthing I have to read is what I feel like right now. Sad.

1 comment:

  1. Awe, I'm sorry to hear that you despise your book. But just hang in there!

    ReplyDelete